Wednesday, July 31, 2024

NY Bucket List Trip

 My wife and I try to take at least one golf trip every year.  Over the years we've had some epic trips to amazing parts of this country and our northern neighbors.  This trip was different though.  On this trip we did something we've never done before.  

Fishers Island Club

Through the generosity of members at some of the best clubs in New York, we were able to experience the courses as any guest of a member would.  This is a big deal for me because as a PGA Professional, I mostly get to play these high profile courses in the off season and I am allowed to show up, play, and then leave.  I don't get to use the locker room or stay for a meal.  I will forever be grateful to the members of these clubs for giving my wife and I the experience of a lifetime.

Me at Friar's Head

*Note-This write up focuses on the highlights of this trip and doesn't cover every single course played or day of the trip.  You will notice many extra courses in the scorecard and flag pictures
Fairview Country Club is a lovely Robert Trent Jones design that I played, but didn't make the write up.

Our epic New York trip actually began in New Jersey.  Watchung Valley Golf Club is a Seth Raynor design that was modified over the years, but a recent renovation brought back some of the Raynor templates on the back nine.  It was a wonderful place to begin our trip.

Watchung Valley Golf Club, Par four 16th hole

Seth Raynor was the theme of day one, as we headed to Westchester County for a round at Blind Brook Club, designed by Raynor and founded as a men's club in 1915.  The club is very exclusive and has less than five thousands rounds annually, so we were honored to be able to play it on a gorgeous Sunday afternoon.

Blind Brook Club, Par four 4th hole, Alps

Day two of the trip was not what I had originally planned, but it turned out ever better than it probably would have.  Originally we were going to play National Golf Links of America, but our host had a sudden conflict and had to cancel.  
The iconic NGLA Windmill, but our view wasn't the one that we originally planned on having!

I was really looking forward to playing NGLA, as it's one of my favorite courses and I haven't seen it in 21 years. However, I was a little worried about my wife's ability to enjoy it as it is very long from the forward tees, 5800 yards, and has several forced carries that my 30 handicap wife might not be able to make.  Luckily, I was able to arrange for us to play Sebonack Golf Club that day.  Ironically, Sebonack is quite literally right next to NGLA.  You are staring at the iconic NGLA windmill while you are on the putting green at Sebonack, see picture above.  Sebonack was built in the early 2000's and was co-designed by Tom Doak and Jack Nicklaus, though it's really a Doak design for all intents and purposes.

Cynthia on the 11th hole at Sebonack with the 12th in the background

Sebonack was very playable for my wife and she had a wonderful time playing the course.  She even made a birdie on the par three 4th hole.  There were other people on the course, but it felt like we had it to ourselves and it couldn't have been a better day or experience with a wonderful caddie, amazing staff, and a thoroughly enjoyable golf course.  As I said earlier, I think the day actually turned out better because of the early disappointment.
Me on the 18th tee at Sebonack.  I played the Doak tee, which is so named because Doak insisted on adding it during construction.

We were playing in western Long Island early the next morning, so on our drive back from Sebonack we stopped in to Setauket to check out the newly opened Spy Ring Golf Club designed by Tyler Rae.  This is Tyler's first original design, as he has done lots of great restoration work, first working with Ron Pritchard, and now on his own after Ron retired.  His debut is a nine hole regulation course that was built on top of an old executive course, Heatherwood.  The result is spectacular and I can't wait to see more original designs from Tyler in the future!
Spy Ring Golf Club, Par four 5th green in foreground, Par three 6th in background

Day three of the trip began in the Southwestern part of Long Island.  Rockaway Hunting Club has an interesting architectural history.  The course was originally designed by Deveret Emmet, then re-worked by A.W. Tillinghast, before a modern restoration was made by Gil Hanse.  Several holes are right on the water, and saying the routing is unique is an understatement.  
To play the Par three 5th hole at Rockaway you must hit over the previous green and avoid the roads mere steps from the right and rear of the green!

You begin right on the coast for two holes, then you head inland for holes three to six, before emerging on the water again in the middle of the front nine.  
Rockaway Hunting Club, Par four 10th hole

One of the big highlights of the trip was next up on day three.  I was very excited to return to Friar's Head Golf Club on the north coast of Long Island twenty years after I first played it.  Friar's was designed by Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw.  
Friar's Head, Par three 10th hole

I was particularly excited for my wife to see it as Sand Hills, also by C&C, is her favorite course, so I knew she would love Friar's Head, and boy was I right!  It's now in her top three courses played!
Cynthia on the par three 17th Hole at Friar's Head

The fourth day of our big New York trip was in The Hamptons portion of Long Island.  The day started at East Hampton Golf Club, designed by Coore and Crenshaw on a very small 123 acre piece of property.  The front nine is more links style in an open field, while the back nine across the street is set more in the trees.  
East Hampton Golf Club, Par three 17th hole

The number four ranked golf course in the world was next on our agenda on day four.  Shinnecock Hills Golf Club in Southampton has been around since the late 1800's with the current version of the course mostly coming from a William Flynn design in the 1930's.  Flynn left a few of the Raynor/MacDonald holes including the famous Redan 7th hole, which famously caused many issues during the 2004 US Open.
Shinnecock Hills, Par three 7th hole with Cynthia and our wonderful caddie in the foreground

I last played Shinnecock twenty years ago and was anxious to see it again.  The first time I played it I didn't know that much about architecture and didn't really see what the big deal was.  It's currently 38th in my personal top 50, which some people have commented on in the past, because in most rankings, as mentioned above, it's top 3 in the US and top 5 in the world.  
Shinnecock Hills, Par three 11th hole.  The hardest short par three in golf!

This time around I was able to recognize the architectural greatness of the course and the brilliance of Flynn's routing, but I don't think I will be changing my ranking.  The course is brutally difficult and not a place I would want to play every day.  That is an important metric for me when it comes to determining my favorite courses.
Shinnecock Hills. The all world 14th green in the foreground with the Par four 15th hole in the background

We also checked out the par three course at Shinnecock which doesn't get a lot of play, but I would highly recommend as it's a ton of fun and a refreshing break from the big course.
Shinnecock Hills Par three course

In a trip full of highlights, the fifth day of the trip was the big highlight, and frankly one of the best golf experiences my wife and I have ever had.  The Fishers Island Club requires a ferry ride from New London, Connecticut to get to the island, and then a drive to the club, which is on the far side of the island. 
Fishers Island Club, The Punchbowl 4th hole.  One of my all time favorite holes in golf!

Like other courses on this trip, I last saw Fishers twenty-one years ago, and had it solidly in my top ten.  After playing it again, it is now in my top 5!  The course is absolute perfection for those that enjoy playing Raynor/MacDonald templates.  The execution of the templates is well done and the setting is unmatched with more than half the holes on the ocean.
The Double Plateau 9th hole at Fishers Island

The experience of playing Fishers Island is further enhanced by the amazing peanut butter, jelly, and bacon sandwiches that are available at the turn.  We were too busy eating them to take a picture, so here's another great picture of the course!
Fishers Island Club, Par three 16th hole

The last day of the trip was spent in Connecticut.  We began the day at Shuttle Meadow Country Club in Berlin.  The course was designed by Willie Park Jr, famously the designer of The Maidstone Club in The Hamptons, which we missed on this trip, but will be back to play soon.  Playing this course allowed my wife to tick Connecticut off her states played list. Her 45th state!
Shuttle Meadow, Par three 6th hole

We wrapped up the trip at Bull's Bridge Golf Club in northwestern Connecticut.  The course is one of the most well-routed Fazios I have seen.  The elevation changes are well done, and the course is in immaculate condition.
Bull's Bridge Golf Club, Par five 1st hole in foreground, Par four 9th hole in background

That concludes the bucket list NY trip writeup.  This was actually week one of our two week trip to New York.  The second week, which had a Donald Ross theme, will be covered in the next writeup.  Thank you as always for reading about my adventures!

FLAGS

SCORECARDS




No comments:

Post a Comment

NY Donald Ross Trip

Week two of our July trip to New York was all about Donald Ross.  I am on a quest to play every course that Donald Ross worked on in his lif...