Thursday, July 7, 2022

Florida May 2022 Trip

I know what your thinking Florida again?  Really?  Wasn't your last trip write up Florida?  Why don't you go someplace else?  Well this time I had a very good reason to make the relatively short trip down to Florida, golf course #2000.  I also made the mandatory stop at Streamsong as well as playing some very good courses in South Florida.

Everglades Club, biarritz par three 14th hole

The trip began, as most Florida trips do for me, at Streamsong Resort.  This was my 17th visit to Streamsong and I love the Red & Blue courses more every time I play them.  This time I teed it up on the Tom Doak designed Blue course.  One of my favorite courses that has one of my all time favorite holes: Top 18

Streamsong Blue Course, par four 4th hole

When I left for Florida I had played 1998 courses so I needed to play somewhere in Central Florida for #1999 before I headed to South Florida for the big 2000.  The course that was chosen was based on availability on a Sunday afternoon and really nothing else.  The Country Club of Sebring is a Ron Garl design that had one decent hole pictured below.

CC of Sebring, par four 12th hole


Day two of the trip began with golf course #2000, The Everglades Club in West Palm Beach.  I wrote a very long explanation of how Everglades came to be #2000 that I will not repeat here.  Check out my instagram or Facebook if you want the long explanation.  
Everglades Club, Punchbowl par three 8th hole

Everglades is a Brian Silva design that sits very near the property of an old Seth Raynor course.  Silva renovated the course in a Raynor theme and installed most of the Raynor templates.  
Everglades Club, the Redan par three 4th hole

I had an interested spectator for my birdie putt on 4.

Everglades is also in the top five of most interesting tee markers I have seen:


After my wonderful morning round at Everglades, I stayed in West Palm for a round at the Tom Fazio designed Emerald Dunes Club.  

Emerald Dunes Club, rear view of the par three 4th hole

Day two concluded with a quick trip around the par three St. Andrews Club in Delray Beach.  A Pete & Alice Dye design.  It features everything you like about Pete Dye designs yet is still very playable.
St. Andrews Club, par three 12th hole

Day three of the trip began in the Boca Raton area with a visit to Boca Rio Golf Club.  Recent host of an LPGA event, the course was originally designed by Robert Von Hagge in the 1960's.  A recent renovation by Ron Forse and Jim Nagle breathed new life into this design.  The course features well over 100 bunkers and I was very proud of the fact that I was only in three all day!

Boca Rio Golf Club, par three 3rd hole


I headed back to the West Palm area for my next round at Banyan Golf Club.  The course was originally designed by Joe Lee and was recently renovated by Kipp Schulltes.


Banyan Golf Club, par three 13th hole

Day three wrapped up with a visit to Sailfish Sands Golf course and their brand new reversible nine hole course designed by John Sanford.  I played the Black course with the Gold being the other option.

Sailfish Sand, Black course, par three 5th hole

The last day of my quick trip to Florida began in Stuart at Floridian National Golf Club.
Floridian, par three 2nd hole


Floridian, par three 8th hole





Floridian, short par four 17th hole


Before I began my long drive home, I checked out the par three course at Floridian, named the Harmon after it's designer, Butch Harmon.  Known to many of us as the #1 ranked teacher in golf for the past twenty years.  Harmon has a teaching school at Floridian and did a wonderful job creating a fun course on a very small and tight piece of property.
Floridian National, Harmon par three course, 8th hole

FLAGS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Florida Trip 2024

Depending on how you feel about my annual Florida trip profiles, you may or may not be happy to learn that this will likely be my last Flori...